Wednesday, January 13, 2010

We had a little bit of a scare last night. Kimi was playing at recess yesterday and fell on some ice and smacked her head on the cement. She called me right after it happened. She sounded fine and she said she had a little headache but she thought she would be fine. School was over in about an hour and a half. She said she wanted to go back to class. I told her that if she started feeling bad to call me. I heard nothing and went to pick them up when school was over. Kimi didn't come out. Someone said that she was in the bathroom throwing up. I went to park the car to go in, but she came out. She looked fine, eyes were fine, her coloring was fine, and no bump on the back of her head. We got home and about half an hour later she threw up again. She said she was really tired and just wanted to go to sleep. She was just laying around and had no energy. She continued to throw up about every half hour or so. I did a little looking around on the internet to find out about concussions. The things I saw said that vomiting could be a sign of a serious injury. In total she threw up six times in three hours. The doctor didn't have any appointments so we went to the Instacare. After waiting for an hour the doctor finally came in. He checked her out - felt her head, looked into her eyes with his little light, asked her lots of questions, etc. He said that there was no sign of blood pooling up around her ears or eyes, her pupils were responding normally, there was no pressure on the back of her eyes, she was responding and asking appropriate questions. Her headache was a lot better than it was when we got there. He told me to feed her if she felt like eating, give her Tylenol, and he gave me a list of things to watch for. We got home about an hour and a half after we got to the doctor's office. By then she looked much better, was acting a lot better. She laid on the couch for about half an hour and then ate a piece of toast. I gave her some Tylenol and she went to bed. She slept 11 hours before she woke up. She said she was still tired and she fell asleep while she was eating breakfast. I sent her back to bed and called the school to tell them she wouldn't be there today. She fell asleep immediately and slept for another two and a half hours. After lunch (which she cooked in her solar oven for her science fair), she laid back down and slept for another two and a half hours. She is back to normal now, thank goodness. No headache, no lack of energy, and wanting to eat whatever I give her.
I can't even begin to say how glad I am that she is okay.

1 comment:

Angie said...

That is scary! I'm glad she's okay. My friends daughter had a concussion and she said it was a lot like having the flu.